North West Wales

Husband's tribute to Tracy Screen after tent fume death

The husband of a woman who died camping with her young family has paid tribute to his "loving and caring wife".

It is thought barbecue fumes may have overcome Tracy Screen, 34, from Chesterfield, Derbyshire, at a Gwynedd campsite.

Husband Benjamin said she was a "wonderful mother to two amazing children who have got to come to terms with this horrible, horrific accident".

Their son, seven, and daughter, four, are comfortable in hospital.

Mr Screen was also taken to hospital in Bangor on Monday for treatment.

North Wales Police are not treating the death at Gyrn Goch, between Pwllheli and Caernarfon, as suspicious.

An inquest has been opened and adjourned, and hospital officials say the father and children may be discharged later once the man has been assessed further.

Richard Morris and Tracy Antcliff, who lived next door to the family, said they were devastated by the death.

"Since we moved in here about seven years ago, they were really good friends," said Mr Morris.

"They were brilliant neighbours, we couldn't ask for any better. It's such a tragedy that Tracy's gone."

Tracy Antcliff said the family had moved from next door to her "six to seven months ago", but they families were still in touch.

"We were really, really good friends, I can't believe this has happened," she said.

'Frightening, horrible'

Another friend and neighbour Maxine Else, said she had been to her hen night and wedding.

"She was a very, very bubbly girl, [I] loved her," she said.

"I'm devastated, it's not sunk in properly yet, and her husband and children... it's frightening, it's horrible," she added.

Officers arrived at the Aberafon site at Gyrn Goch at 09:30 BST on Monday. One councillor said it was a shock to hear of "such a tragedy".

Police have not confirmed the cause, and say they are still looking into what happened.

Sgt David Hughes said: "At the moment we are not treating the matter as suspicious, we're treating it as an unexplained death.

"It's too early to give a clear indication of what caused this lady to pass away."

'Deep shock'

The owners of the site are said to be too distressed to talk.

Owain Williams, a county councillor for the area, said: "I haven't spoken to the owners yet but I imagine it's a deep shock for them as well.

"I run a caravan site myself and I know and understand how I would feel in such a situation.

"It's quite horrific I should imagine."

The family had arrived at the site on Saturday.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites