North West Wales

Man dies, another missing after Anglesey cliff incident

A 22-year-old man has died and another man is missing in the sea after an incident on cliffs on Anglesey.

Witnesses say a group of young people arrived at cliffs at Cable Bay on Wednesday night with fishing rods.

Police believe one of the men went for a swim and when he got into difficulty, the other went in to help him.

An RAF helicopter recovered one of the men from the sea but police said he died on arrival at hospital. The search for the second man has been suspended.

In an early report, coastguards said the young men were reported missing after jumping from cliffs at Cable Bay at around 20:15 BST, but the circumstances are unclear on how they ended up in the water.

A major search for the second man continued until 01:00 BST.

It involved the helicopter from RAF Valley, lifeboat crews and coastguard rescue teams.


The man pulled from the water was flown to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor.

Both men are believed to be local.

On Thursday afternoon Holyhead coastguard said that the search for the second man had been suspended until they received further information.

Sgt Manon Owen of the Anglesey policing team told BBC Wales: "What we know is two young men have ended up in the water, we believe for a swim.

"One has gone in first and the other went into help when he got into difficulties.

"Squadron 22 from RAF Valley winched one man to safety but unfortunately he died in Ysbyty Gwynedd.

"The rocks, the current and the heavy weather we had on Thursday make this a very treacherous bit of coastline."

A North Wales Police spokesperson added: "At this time it is not known how the first male entered the water."

A spokeswoman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said a coastguard rescue team from Rhosneigr had resumed a search of the shoreline on Thursday morning.


Image caption The man was flown to hospital in Bangor

Witness Luke Evans, 34, who was surfing in the area, said as he was leaving the water he saw a group of three men and woman with fishing rods.

"They were just enjoying themselves as they walked to the burial mound," he added.

Mr Evans, who is staying with friends on the outskirts of Aberffraw, said later he became aware of the rescue.

Describing the scene at about 2230 BST, he said: "[The] Sea King helicopter was going up and down the coast with all its lights on, hovering at around 50 feet.

"There were four to five groups on the shoreline, putting up flares, a couple of boats at sea involved in the search as well."

He said he was told one of the men got into difficulty on the rocks and another went to his aid and fell in.

Alf Pritchard, a spokesman for Trearddur Bay lifeboat, said the search resumed after Wednesday night's initial hunt for the missing man.

"The volunteer crew from Trearddur Bay searched for four and a half hours in not very pleasant conditions for the missing man. The search began at dusk and ended in darkness, with force 5/6 conditions and winds of up to 20 mph."

A spokesman for RAF Valley said: "Our thoughts go out to the family of those involved."