North West Wales

Three hurt after explosion and ammonia leak on Anglesey

Three people have been taken to hospital after a minor explosion and a chemical leak on an industrial estate.

North Wales firefighters were called at 14:23 BST on Saturday to deal with a fire in a refrigerator at an industrial unit at Lon Groes, Gaerwen, Anglesey.

People nearby were for a time urged to stay indoors and keep their windows and doors closed after some ammonia leaked into the atmosphere.

The fire service are investigating, but it is not thought to be suspicious.

A number of emergency vehicles were sent to the scene, including three fire engines from Bangor, Holyhead and Llangefni.

An environmental protection unit was also deployed.

The fire service said the three people taken to hospital had minor injuries.

Householders were also advised later on Saturday evening that they could return to normal practice.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites