North West Wales

Five jailed for baseball bat attack outside Talsarnau pub

Mold Crown Court
Image caption The five people were jailed at Mold Crown Court

Five people have been jailed for a total of 26 years for attacking two brothers outside a Gwynedd pub with baseball bats and a metal bar.

Darrell Jones suffered skull fractures and bleeding near the brain after the attack in Talsarnau in May last year.

His brother Dylan suffered a broken arm when he went to his aid.

Brothers Sion and Ashley Hughes, of Gerlan, Llanllyfni, Cari Lewis, of Trefan, and two 16-year-olds were jailed at Mold Crown Court.

Sentencing, Judge Phillip Hughes told the defendants that this kind of violence "will not be tolerated".

Ashley Hughes, 22, was jailed for nine years after admitting two charges of grievous bodily harm (GBH) and possessing an offensive weapon.

He received an additional 18 months for possessing cocaine with intent to supply, which he also admitted.

Sion Hughes, 20, also admitted two charges of GBH and possessing an offensive weapon and was jailed seven-and-a-half years in youth custody.

Lewis, 25, received two-and-a-half years after admitting two charges of GBH on the basis that she provided transport for the attackers.

A 16-year-old boy, convicted of the violence offences after a trial, received four years detention, while a second 16-year-old boy admitted GBH on the basis that he did not use any weapons, and he received 18 months detention.

Neither can be named for legal reasons.


Mold Crown Court heard the attacks happened outside the Ship Aground pub in Talsarnau.

Jayne La Grua, prosecuting, told the court that Darrell Jones saw Sion Hughes earlier allegedly taking cocaine and told Hughes' girlfriend about it.

Later there was a confrontation between the two men and Sion Hughes left in a car, the court was told. But he later returned to seek revenge in a car driven by Lewis.

Ms La Grua said Ashley Hughes struck the first blow with a weapon to Darrell Jones' left temple.

The court heard that his brother Sion struck him with a baton to the right temple, one of the youths delivered three blows with a baseball bat or baton and struck him between the eyes.

Dylan Jones, who is in the Army, went to his brother's aid, but his arm was fractured by Sion Hughes using a metal bar.

Judge Phillip Hughes told the five defendants: "You and others who hear about this case need to realise that this kind of violence on the streets late at night, near licensed premises, will not be tolerated by the courts.

"It is far too prevalent. This is a particularly bad example of it."