Bala caravan fire injures family of seven

Location

Related Stories

A couple and five children have been taken to hospital after a fire which destroyed their caravan at a park in Gwynedd.

The incident happened just before 08:00 BST at Cefn Ddwysarn near Bala.

An electric heater set the touring caravan's awning alight, leaving a 40-year-old man with hand and chest burns.

His partner, 34, and children aged six months, two, five, six and 13 have also been taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

The North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it was a timely reminder of the care needed when using caravans or camping.

Paul Whybro from the emergency service said: "Caravans and tents are potentially more hazardous as the inherent risks are magnified in confined spaces.

"This fire destroyed the family's touring caravan.

CARAVAN & TENT FIRE SAFETY

  • Ensure tents or caravans are kept at least 6m apart
  • Find out what the fire-fighting arrangements are on the campsite
  • Fit a smoke alarm in your caravan - and make sure it is working
  • Make sure there is either a fully charged water or dry powder extinguisher located inside the caravan near the exit door and a fire blanket near the cooking area
  • Keep a torch handy for emergencies
  • Do not cook inside your tent
  • Make sure everyone knows how to operate escape windows and doors
  • If your clothing catches fire, Stop, Drop and Roll.

North Wales Fire & Rescue

"Fire can strike at any time, anywhere - and it is vital that we are all on our guard and try to do all that we can to keep safe."

Gas warning

The fire service said it was issuing a safety warning as the weather improves and people are likely to venture out in their caravans and tents over the bank holiday weekend.

It comes almost two years since a caravan fire at Barmouth in Gwynedd, in which two men lost their lives and a two-year-old-girl was seriously injured.

The fire service also stressed the importance of being aware of carbon monoxide gas dangers.

"The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from a barbeque left to smoulder cannot be over emphasised - portable barbeques must always be used in an area with proper ventilation, preferably outside, due to the potential rapid build up of the deadly gas," said Officer Whybro.

"Low levels of exposure can cause dizziness, headaches and flu-like symptoms - the gas can quickly render someone unconscious by depriving them of oxygen and at high levels it can kill in minutes."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC North West Wales

Weather

Anglesey

Min. Night 8 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • UndergroundTravel books

    BBC Culture goes underground to discuss what Londoners are reading on the go

Programmes

  • Evan Blass (known as evLeaks on Twitter)Click

    One of the world's top technology leakers - Evan Blass - explains how he gathers his secrets

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.