North West Wales

Smoke alarm link 'might have saved' Alfred Hodges, inquest hears

A pensioner might have been saved if his smoke alarm had been linked to a central operator, an inquest has heard.

Alfred Hodges, 97, from Llanrwst, died in June from carbon monoxide poisoning following a fire started by a toaster.

An inquest in Llandudno, which recorded a verdict of accidental death, heard some councils linked to a Telecare system, but Conwy council did not.

Deputy coroner Nicola Jones said she would write to the council, which will give "due consideration" to her letter.

The coroner said she believed Conwy was now installing a such a system.

The inquest heard how firefighters arrived at Mr Hodges's home in seven minutes.

A fire officer told the hearing Mr Hodges could potentially have been saved if there had been a link to the Telecare control.

The coroner said it would never be known whether there might have been a different outcome, because Mr Hodges had a severe heart problem.

She said she would write to Conwy council to tell them family members should know relatives are not necessarily connected to a network.

A Conwy council spokeswoman said: "The deputy coroner is intending to write to Conwy County Borough Council regarding the issue of smoke alarms.

"Any suggestions and comments she makes will be given due consideration as to whether any lessons can be learnt regarding protecting other clients in similar situations."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites