Girl injured by 'exploding' phone charger on Bangor bus

Related Stories

A teenager was injured after her mobile phone charger "exploded" while she was travelling on a bus in Gwynedd.

The girl, 14, was taken to Bangor's Ysbyty Gwynedd hospital by paramedics after the device burst into flames, according to witnesses.

About 20 passengers had to be evacuated on the Llandudno to Caernarfon bus service near Llandygai.

The charger has been handed to trading standards officials following the incident on Saturday.

Witness Mark Roberts, 65, of Bangor, who kicked the "melted charger" off the bus, said it blew up "like an incendiary device".

He said he saw a white flash and a flame about 50cm (19in) high, which caused the girl to drop the charger to the floor.

The flame singed the girl's hair and burned her hands, he said.

Passengers continued their journey on a replacement bus.

More on This Story

Related Stories

BBC North West Wales

Weather

Anglesey

10 °C 5 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • UnderwaterHidden depths

    How do you explore the bottom of the ocean? BBC Future finds out

Programmes

  • A model with a projection mapped onto her faceClick Watch

    Face hacking - how to use a computer to turn your face into a work of digital art

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.