North West Wales

Inquest opens into double fire death in Llanrwst flat

Bernard Hender and Doug McTavish
Image caption Bernard Hender and Doug McTavish died in the fire at the flat in Llanrwst

An inquest into the deaths of two men who died in a blaze at a flat has been opened.

Bernard Hender, 19, and Douglas McTavish, 39, died in the fire at the flat in Ancaster Square, Llanrwst, in the early hours of 10 October.

At a hearing in Ruthin, coroner John Gittins said samples had been sent for toxicology tests by pathologist Dr Andrew Dalton.

The double inquest was adjourned to a date to be fixed.

Image caption Garry Lloyd Jones tried to save both men from the blaze

Electrical fault

The alarm was raised by Mr Hender's partner, undertaker Gary Lloyd Jones, who was Mr McTavish's business partner in a restaurant.

He tried to rescue the men but was driven back by the smoke.

Mr Gittins said he had been informed by the fire and rescue service that the blaze may have been caused by an electrical fault in a tumble dryer.

Image caption The scene of devastation left by the blaze

More on this story