North West Wales

Deganwy fatal house fire: 'Electrical fault' caused blaze

Google Image copyright Google

A house fire which killed an elderly couple started due to an electrical fault, the fire service has said.

A man in his 90s and a woman in her 80s died following a blaze on Gannock Park West, Deganwy, Conwy, at about 07:40 BST on Tuesday.

They were brought out of the house but died afterwards. Another woman managed to escape before firefighters arrived.

Stuart Millington, senior fire safety officer, said the house did not have smoke alarms.

"They could have saved their lives," he added.

The fire caused "severe fire damage to the room of origin and significant smoke damage to the remainder of the first floor", said Mr Millington.

Insp Kelly Isaacs of North Wales Police said: "Despite their [emergency services'] rapid deployment, they were sadly unable to prevent the deaths of the two elderly occupants."

Mr Millington added: "This fire highlights the danger of electrical fires and their potentially tragic consequences - they can strike anytime, anywhere.

"It is important to be as prepared as possible in the event of a fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home."