Colwyn Bay pier: Crews tackle fire at disused building
Fire crews have tackled a fire at the derelict Colwyn Bay pier in Conwy.
About 10 firefighters used cherry pickers to reach the flames which broke out on the Grade II-listed Victoria Pier at about 16:30 BST on Friday.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the incident was under control but crews had been unable to determine if the blaze was extinguished because the tide has restricted access.
A crew will stay overnight and an investigation will start on Saturday.
The 116-year-old pier was already closed to the public for safety reasons.
Work to demolish the damaged parts of the pier, which has been closed since 2008, began earlier this month.
The remainder of the seaward section is to be redeveloped into a shortened boardwalk with plans to restore its 1930s Art Deco pavilion also being looked at.
Conwy council voted to demolish the structure in 2013 and a report at the time said restoring the pier would cost more than £15m.
But demolition was refused by the Welsh Government in 2015.