South East Wales

Merthyr Tydfil man rescued from chip pan blaze

Firefighters said a man had a narrow escape when he had to be rescued from a blaze at his home in Merthyr Tydfil.

Emergency services were called to the Heolgerrig area just before 0300 BST by neighbours who heard a smoke alarm going off.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus searched the property and found him in an upstairs bedroom.

A South Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said the fire was caused by a chip pan left unattended on a cooker.

"The fire service advise that you do not cook before going to bed and that working smoke alarms save lives," she said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites