Cardiff fans jailed for Chelsea FA Cup violence

Stamford Bridge Violence broke out in the streets around Stamford Bridge after the Saturday lunchtime kick-off

Related Stories

Three Cardiff fans have been jailed for their part in a mass brawl after an FA Cup match against Chelsea.

A judge at London's Isleworth Crown Court heard there were violent clashes between rival supporters near Stamford Bridge in February last year.

Matthew Alm, 27, of Fairwater, Cardiff, admitted two counts of affray and was jailed for 10 months.

Adrian Horrell, 32, of Bargoed, and Matthew Brown, 38, of Llanishen, Cardiff, were jailed for eight months.

They both admitted one count of affray.

A total of 96 supporters from both sides have been charged with offences.

The court heard hundreds of fans charged each other, hurled missiles and fought in the street before and after the match around the Fulham Road and the King's Road area.

The chaos overwhelmed police and caused innocent bystanders and other supporters to fear for their safety.

Jailing the three men and handing each a six year football banning order, Judge Martin Edmunds, said: "Clearly a message has to go out that this sort of behaviour is not acceptable."

Horrell, Alm and Brown, were all caught on CCTV after police looked through hours of footage.

'Sheer volume'

Alm, who has attended more than 700 matches, was "behaving aggressively" and had to be pushed away by police.

He was in the midst of the clashing supporters and was seen lending his "weight" to the chaotic "surges," the judge said.

Horrell and Brown were filmed by the police amid the surging and brawling fans in west London.

Thousands of Cardiff supporters had travelled to London to watch the game, the first time the teams had met for 18 years, and which Chelsea won 4-1.

The prosecutor added: "Some of them appeared, as with some of the Chelsea supporters, more interested in confrontation than the match being played at Stamford Bridge."

"There was a police presence, as is the norm at football matches, but at that stage they struggled to keep order because of the sheer volume of supporters that were violent and clashing with each other."

More on This Story

Related Stories

BBC South East Wales


[an error occurred while processing this directive]


Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.