South East Wales

Cardiff fan Leslie Hayes saved six days after collapse

A football fan says fellow supporters saved his life after a collapse at home saw him spend six days on his floor.

Leslie Hayes, 58, from Newport, was found after other Cardiff City fans raised the alarm with police when he failed to show up for a game at Oxford.

Mr Hayes, who seriously injured both shoulders in the fall at home, was too weak to get up and remembers very little of his ordeal.

He said if friends had not contacted police, he would have died.

"On the Monday, I don't know what happened," he said.

"I just had a blackout, I just fell over," said Mr Hayes, who had no food or drink the whole time.

"I just couldn't remember anything. I heard the phone go but I just couldn't get up. The days were going on and on and on."

Gwent Police did call at his house at one stage but there was no answer.

'Picked me up'

However, his friends were so worried they contacted police again and officers gained entry to his property.

"The Saturday then, the police came around and they picked me up," he said.

Mr Hayes, who has been watching the Championship club for more than 40 years, was treated by paramedics and taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport, where he is still receiving treatment.

He said his first thought when police arrived was to get a drink.

"I couldn't wait to get a drink of water. That's all I wanted was a drink of water," he said.

"I didn't want food. It was hot that week. I just wanted water."

'Where's Les?'

The retired steelworker had not had a blackout previously, but believed it was possibly related to high blood pressure.

Friend and fellow fan Roger Nowell, of Porthcawl, said it was playing on his mind that Mr Hayes had missed the Oxford game.

"I was concerned because Les over the years rarely misses a football match," he said.

"I think the last one he probably missed was about three years ago when he went to visit his brother in America.

"He hadn't mentioned anything about going away or anything so I was concerned then about what had happened to him.

"This is why I took the action of going to the police station."

Mr Hayes thanked Mr Nowell and his fellow City fans for helping save his life.

"They always see me on the bus [to games]. We go everywhere, we don't miss a game," he said.

"I haven't missed a game for three-and-a-half years.

"If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be here now."

Mr Hayes said the club had invited him for a look behind the scenes at Cardiff City Stadium when he was feeling better.

More on this story

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites