South East Wales

Review after boy's Cardiff City Hall fountain rescue

A student has described how he helped to rescue a two-year-old boy from a fountain outside Cardiff City Hall.

Cardiff council said all aspects of the site's management were being reviewed.

Law student Scott Taylor, 21, who jumped into the water after a woman raised the alarm, said he believed it should be fenced off.

He and others who rushed to help carried out first aid on the boy, who is now stable in intensive care in hospital.

South Wales Police were called to the incident at 14:45 BST on Tuesday. By the time they arrived the boy had been pulled out of the fountain.

Police have apologised for confusion over the boy's age, which they originally reported as two, then changed to four, and have now confirmed as two.

Mr Taylor told BBC Wales that he shouted at passers-by to call the emergency services as he jumped into the water.

"I pulled the kid to the side where myself, and others, then started CPR (cardio pulmonary resuscitation)," he said.

Mr Taylor said he felt there should be something there to prevent children falling in.

"With all the families that come here on hot days you'd expect there to be something to prevent children falling in, especially little children, because [the water is] knee high on me and I'm 6ft 2.


"Hopefully, something like this never happens again," he added.

He said instinct had kicked in as he realised what was happening, and he had used skills learned when he was an Army cadet.

The emergency services arrived in seconds, he said.

Image caption Police cordoned off the fountain for several hours

"I don't see myself as a hero, no way, there were others there," he added. "Everyone [who helped] should be heroes, especially the paramedics and police officers".

Ruth Walker, executive director of nursing for Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, said the boy was stable in the University Hospital of Wales' paediatric intensive care unit.

"Staff are doing everything possible for the young boy and are supporting the family as best they can during what is a very difficult time," she said.

Cardiff council, which owns the fountain, has praised staff who helped in the rescue.

A council spokesperson added: "This distressing incident is unprecedented in the 42 years since the fountain was built.

"Council officers are reviewing all aspects of site management in the light of yesterday's event."

It is understood the boy's parents had gone to a nearby police station to report him missing. They went with him to hospital.

Police said the incident was not being treated as suspicious.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites