South East Wales

Homes evacuated after garage fire in Gadlys, Aberdare

Residents were evacuated from 17 houses after a garage fire led to fears that an acetylene cylinder could explode.

People were told to leave home in the Gadlys area of Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taf, after firefighters were called to Depot Road at 04:40 BST on Sunday.

They stayed at the Michael Sobell Sports Centre, but returned home later when South Wales Fire Service decided the cylinder was no longer a threat.

A fire appliance will stay at the scene another 24 hours to cool the cylinder.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites