South East Wales

Flooding hits Newport and stops Cardiff rugby match

Flooding at Rodney Parade
Image caption Flooding forced the match at Rodney Parade to be postponed

Heavy rain has forced the cancellation of a big rugby derby and caused homes to flood in separate parts of Wales.

Ground staff at Rodney Parade swept flood water off the pitch but the match between the Newport Gwent Dragons and the Cardiff Blues could not be saved.

It came after South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it took 18 flooding calls in the Maindee area of Newport in just one hour.

Mid and West Wales Fire Service said it had taken six calls in Aberystwyth.

The pitch at Rodney Parade was considered too waterlogged for the Friday evening game to go ahead, despite the efforts of ground staff.

The ground was caught in downpours that left fire crews in the city dealing with callout in Maindee from 16:30 GMT onwards.

Fire-fighters later went to Mill Parade, Pill, where they began pumping out water from the basements of six properties.

The heavy rain also led St Cadoc's Hospital in Caerleon to call in firefighters to pump water from a ward, although no patients had to be moved.

In Aberystwyth, the fire service said it was called to reports of localised flooding in the Penparcau Road.

The flooding hit householders as drivers making their way across the Second Severn Crossing were delayed after a camper van caught fire on the westbound hard shoulder.

The motorway was closed for a while both ways between junctions 22 (M49) and 23 (Magor).

The eastbound side reopened at 16:45 GMT and the westbound side reopened at 17:10 GMT but the South Wales Trunk Road Agency reported long delays.

Meanwhile, First Great Western warned of delays of up to 25 minutes on rail services between Cardiff Central and Bristol stations due to problem with lineside equipment at the Severn Tunnel Junction.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites