South East Wales

Llantwit Fardre house death: Carbon monoxide suspected

A 63-year-old man has died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a house in the south Wales valleys.

His two sons, both in their 30s, were also found unconscious at the property in Llantwit Fardre, Rhondda Cynon Taf, at about 21:15 GMT on Tuesday.

One is in a critical condition and the other is stable at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Llantrisant.

Emergency services were called to St Anne's Driver on the Crown Hill estate when a family friend raised the alarm.

Residents were moved from nearby houses as a precaution.

South Wales Police say there are no suspicious circumstances.

Local councillor Margaret Burtonwood said: "It's shocking really - with all the warnings we now get it's still happening and people are dying.

"My own brother and sister-in-law two years ago nearly died from this."

Police and the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service are investigating the incident at St Anne's Drive.

Local resident Joel James said: "I've spoken to a number of people about this this morning and [the feeling] is one of shock and sadness this close to Christmas.

"It's quite frankly terrible news and my thoughts go out to the family."

The Health and Safety Executive has also been informed.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites