South East Wales

Newport flat fire: Mother and child taken to hospital

A mother and child have been taken to hospital after a fire in a second floor flat in Newport.

Fire crews were called to the Old Barn estate in St Julians after the fire broke out at about 18:20 GMT on Thursday.

The mother and child suffered from the effects of smoke and were taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital as a precautionary measure.

The fire was reported to have been caused accidentally.

Fire crews from Maindee and Malpas were sent to the scene and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the flat and tackled the fire with a water jet.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites