South East Wales

Betws primary school fire started accidentally

A fire which destroyed a school's junior block started accidentally when a table fan overheated, investigators have discovered.

More than 200 pupils at Betws Primary were led to safety on Tuesday

The nursery and infants' buildings were undamaged and all pupils were allowed to return to school on Wednesday.

Bridgend council said it was working out how best to accommodate pupils and wanted to keep to a minimum any disruption to their education.

Bridgend council said except for the Flying Start facility the school would be open to all pupils on Wednesday.

Matt Jones, watch manager at South Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the fire was accidental.

He added: "The cause of the fire was due to a table fan over heating and catching on fire."

Three fire crews were called out at around 14:30 BST on Tuesday, and fire officers are due back at the scene on Wednesday to inspect the damage.

Residents living near the school, around six miles (9.6km) from the centre of the town, were warned to stay indoors and keep windows and doors closed.

Deputy headteacher Liz Pearce, who has been at the school for 23 years, said children and teachers had lost everything in the building.

"All the children's work, all the hard work the teachers and children put in, it's all gone," she told BBC Wales.

Ms Pearce said the school was evacuated after the alarm bell sounded, before flames took hold within 20 minutes.

Image caption Firefighters were called to the scene on Tuesday at around 14:30 BST

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites