South East Wales

Maesteg trial: Stuart Worvell jury shown alleged weapon

Thomas Sutton
Image caption Thomas Sutton, 20, died in June 2012

The weapon allegedly used to stab to death a passer-by who thought there was a party going on and disturbed a man's bath has been shown to a jury.

Stuart Worvell, 22, denies murdering Thomas Sutton and the attempted murder of his friend Kyle Harris, 18.

Mr Worvell is accused of stabbing Mr Thomas, 20, nine times with a six-inch kitchen knife outside his home in Maesteg.

The blade was found the following day at Maesteg railway station.

Mr Sutton wanted to join the party he mistakenly thought was happening, Cardiff Crown Court heard.

Mr Worvell claims he acted in self-defence after Mr Thomas and Mr Harris, both of Caerau, Maesteg, attempted to attack him with pieces of wood.


Forensic scientist Claire Lowry told the court the knife had traces of Mr Worvell's blood on it, but no other blood.

As a result, she told the court, she could not be certain it was the knife used in the attack.

Ms Lowry said if it was the weapon used to cause the injuries, it would have had to have been carefully cleaned and wiped.

She also told the court that, in her opinion, Mr Sutton had been stabbed inside the house and had moved about between the hall and the living room before being dragged across the carpet because of the distribution of blood in the room.

The jury was also shown a piece of wood, around three feet long, which was found inside the house.

It was broken into two pieces with one piece found by the front door and the other by a sofa in the lounge.

Under cross-examination by the defence, crime scene investigators were asked if they thought a photograph taken of the outside of the house showed another piece of wood.

They agreed it might be another piece of wood but said it had not been gathered up as evidence and they did not know what had become of it.

Earlier, the court heard that Mr Sutton heard music coming from Mr Worvell's home and thought there was a party.

Gregg Taylor QC, prosecuting, said: "Thomas heard loud music coming from the end terrace house and thought there might be a party going on.

"He decided to stop, knock the door and try his luck. There was no party going on. Stuart Worvell was in his house on his own, he was in the bath with the music up loud so he could hear it from the other room.

"He got out of the bath, went to the bedroom window, and said there was no party.

"Thomas kept knocking the door and asking to come in, Worvell didn't want to let him in and things got a bit heated."

The murder trial jury heard how Mr Worvell confronted Mr Thomas - known to his friends as Tuskin - on the doorstep of the house on Tonna Road, Maesteg, in June last year.

Mr Worvell is then alleged to have grabbed a 15cm kitchen knife and stabbed him repeatedly.

'Emergency surgery'

"The first blow was to the left hand side of the neck severing the main artery between the heart and the brain," Mr Taylor added.

"The second was a wound to the left side of the chest which went deep into his lung. Worvell continued to stab his victim, twice to the top of the head and five times to the back."

Mr Taylor said Mr Harris was stabbed three times and survived only because he received "very quick and good emergency surgery without which he would have died as well".

The jury was told how after the attack Mr Worvell - also known as Womble - dressed and fled the scene.

He travelled to Cardiff where he stayed overnight. He then caught a train to Manchester but got off in Dorrington, Shropshire, and handed himself in, the court heard.

"Even though the victims had no real reason to be there they were just trying their luck, thinking they might get admittance to a party, Mr Taylor said.

"We don't say that Worvell's actions were pre-meditated but the intention to kill someone can rise very suddenly in response to a given situation."

The trial continues.