South East Wales

Nida Naseer: Police believe body found is missing woman

Police officers at the scene Image copyright Matthew Horwood
Image caption The body was discovered at Newport Wetlands off West Nash Road on Thursday morning, say police

Police investigating the disappearance of Nida Naseer from Newport say they believe a body found near the city is the missing woman.

Thursday's discovery at Newport Wetlands off West Nash Road came three months after she disappeared.

Nida, 19, was not wearing a coat or shoes when she vanished while putting out bins at her Pill family home.

Police said a post-mortem examination was to take place, and the death was being treated as unexplained.

A spokesperson said: "The formal identification process of the body recovered in Newport yesterday morning continues today.

"However, police now believe it to be that of missing Newport teenager, Nida Naseer.

"Nida's family continue to be supported by specialist officers at this sad and difficult time."

Nida was last seen at her home in Linton Street on 28 December at 20:00 GMT.

Since then her mobile phone has not been used.

The body was found about four miles (6.5km) from her home.

Image copyright Gwent Police
Image caption A total of 114 statements have been taken by police in the search for Nida

Natural Resources Wales, which manages the wetland, said the body appeared to have washed up on to an area of salt marsh not accessible to the public.

Her family has made several public appeals for her to return home.

Family members say she was depressed before she went missing and believe she disappeared because the family's asylum-seeker status prevented her from attending university.

They had sought asylum after coming to the UK from Pakistan five years ago but their application was turned down a year ago. They have appealed.

Since Nida disappeared, police have investigated hundreds of lines of inquiry and taken more than 100 statements, receiving more than 50 calls reporting possible sightings across the UK.

Image copyright Matthew Horwood
Image caption Salt marsh managers said the body appeared to have washed up on an area not accessible to the public

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites