South East Wales

Mum and daughter rescued from fire in Agincourt Street, Newport

A mother and daughter have been rescued from a house fire in Newport.

Firefighters saved the pair from an upstairs window of a terraced house in Agincourt Street, Crindau.

The fire began just after 20:00 BST on Tuesday on the ground floor and the daughter raised the alarm with a 999 call.

The South Wales Fire and Rescue Service control room gave her safety advice before firefighters arrived and rescued the pair using a seven-metre ladder.

Crews from Malpas, Maindee and Duffryn tackled the fire using breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and a safety jet.

The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes and is thought to have started accidentally.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites