South East Wales

Bridgend's 15th Century bridge arch exposed

The exposed fourth arch Image copyright Wales Online
Image caption The fourth arch was found in the basement of an office building

The fourth arch of a medieval stone bridge in Bridgend has been exposed for the first time in about 200 years.

The wooden structure was exposed after flood water got into the basement of an office building, which was built on part of the bridge in 1820.

Heritage body Cadw has visited the bridge, which is an ancient monument dating back to 1452, and has provided advice to ensure the arch is preserved.

It is hoped a glass wall will be erected so people can see it.

Staff at Graham Paul chartered accountants in Dunraven Place were first given a glimpse of the fourth arch under their office about seven years ago when part of a wall panel came down during renovations.

Image copyright (C) British Broadcasting Corporation
Image caption The medieval stone bridge spans the River Ogmore and provides a link into the town centre

But the whole arch has now been uncovered after builders had to remove a wall when water from the river seeped into the basement in early December.

John Squire, director of Graham Paul, said: "It's perfectly preserved and is very solid."

Bridge's history

  • Gives Bridgend its name
  • Pilgrims used it to cross the river on their way to St David's in Pembrokeshire
  • It was constructed in 1425 and rebuilt after floods partially destroyed it in 1775

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites