South East Wales

Leekes store in Pontyclun evacuated after fire

Image copyright Google
Image caption No-one was hurt although three people were treated for the affects of smoke following the fire at Leekes

Three people have been treated for smoke inhalation after a small fire led to the evacuation of department store in Llantrisant.

A chair, which had been near a halogen heater in Leekes, Rhondda Cynon Taf, caught fire at 12:35 GMT on Thursday.

No-one was hurt although three people were treated for the affects of smoke.

The south Wales fire service said about 20 firefighters from Pontyclun, Pencoed and Cowbridge went to the scene.

A Leekes spokesman said: "Thanks to the heroic efforts of three members of staff and the fire service damage was minimal and both staff and customers were swiftly evacuated to safety."

The store remained closed on Thursday and is expected to re-open on Friday.