South East Wales

Four hurt in 'suspicious' gas blast at Newport house

The house in Newport Image copyright Matthew Horwood

Four people have been hurt, one of them seriously, in a gas explosion at a house in Newport which police are treating as suspicious.

The blast, shortly before 19:30 BST on Saturday, badly damaged the house in George Street, with 11 people inside.

Nearly 30 firefighters worked at scene in what South Wales Fire and Rescue Service called "difficult" conditions.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionHouse frontage 'completely destroyed', says station commander Mark Watts

A Wales and West Utilities expert said the blast was linked to "internal gas pipework and not our network".

Gwent Police said the explosion caused "extensive damage" to the property and adjacent buildings.

People living in surrounding properties have been allowed back into their homes, but people living in three houses either side have not been.

Station commander Mark Watts, of South Wales fire service, said 11 people had been in the house at the time of the explosion and that three people had minor injuries and another had "life-threatening injuries".

A police spokeswoman added: "The incident, which is believed to have been caused by a gas explosion, is being treated as suspicious.

"No other persons are being sought in connection with this incident."

The fire service said nearby properties were evacuated due to safety concerns.

Specialist equipment, including airbags, were brought in to try to keep the property structurally safe while firefighters conducted a search and worked at the scene.

By 21:50 BST, all 11 occupants were accounted for, said a fire service spokeswoman.

The mains gas network and the supply of gas to other properties was not affected by the incident, said Wales and West Utilities.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites