South West Wales

Gower rescue: Mobile signal helps men trapped on Worm's Head

Coastguards used a mobile phone signal to help rescue two men who were trapped on Worm's Head on Gower overnight.

A 999 operator received a call from a mobile phone at 01:45 BST on Wednesday but it cut out before anybody spoke.

However, information from the phone signal was used to pinpoint where the men were, while the wife of one of the men was tracked down.

Coastguards eventually saw lights on Worm's Head, Rhosilli and an RAF helicopter rescued them at 04:15 BST.

The pair, from Swansea, were both found to be fit and well.

Heavy fog

Steve Matthews, Swansea coastguard watch manager, said the two men, in their 30s and 40s, had been fishing for crabs along the Worm's Head causeway and when the tide came in they decided to return to their car.

"However, heavy fog rolled in, they quickly became disorientated and made a sensible decision to head for high ground," he said.

"Unfortunately for them, that meant that they became trapped on Worm's Head as the causeway flooded.

"The two men did exactly the right thing by heading for high ground and calling 999 and asking for the coastguard.

"Fortunately they were just about able to get enough signal for us to locate them."

Coastguards were also able to use the call to track down the address of the owner and asked police to visit the house.

The wife of one of the men confirmed that he had gone out looking for crabs but was unsure of where he had gone.

The Oxwich and Rhossili coastguard rescue teams were sent to the scene and the men's car was found at Rhossili.

HM Coastguard said two lights were then seen flashing from the island of Worm's Head, but the coastguards were unable to cross due to tidal conditions.

The RAF rescue helicopter, which had already been scrambled, went to the island and airlifted the two men to safety at around 04:15 BST.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites