Wiston explosion: Injured teenager Jordan Smith arrested
A 19-year-old man who was injured in an explosion in a field at his Pembrokeshire home has been arrested.
The teenager, named locally as Jordan Smith, suffered severe hand injuries in the minor blast in the village of Wiston.
Police said on Friday a 19-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of an explosive-related offence.
Officers have also seized "bird scaring equipment".
Mr Smith was airlifted to Morriston Hospital where he was being treated for his injuries and it is feared he will lose the use of both hands.
He was said to be in a stable condition in hospital.
Dyfed-Powys Police said they were continuing to investigate but were not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.
Neighbours had said that Mr Smith was hoping to join the Army. He had joined last year but had not got through his training.
But he had just completed an Army preparation course at Pembrokeshire College.
Neighbour Bernie Jones, 67, said: "The Army is definitely his orientation - he was very keen and and hoped to be accepted."
Mr Jones, who has lived in the village for 30 years, said Mr Smith had wanted to join up since he was a young boy.
The explosion happened at 11:00 BST on Thursday, leading to the road through the village being closed.
Mr Jones added: "There was some sort of an explosion and it looks like Jordan has suffered bad hand injuries.
"Police threw a cordon up around the entire village and the bomb squad moved in."
Mr Smith's family moved to Wiston six years ago from Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire. His parents Anthony and Rita Smith were directors of a cleaning company until recently.
Another neighbour told how he heard the explosion.
He said: "The helicopter was soon overhead and landed in a field next to the house. You don't get these sort of things happening here."
Villager Fiona Morgan, 27, said: "Neighbours said there was an almighty bang and a bad smell.
"There's been a lot of police and sniffer dogs.
"It's a really, really sleepy and quiet village. It's very peaceful normally - just a lovely place to be."
A Dyfed-Powys Police spokeswoman described his injury as "non-life threatening" and the investigation is continuing.
She said: "The safety of all in the area is our priority, and the small number of residents who were evacuated have not been allowed back to their homes at this time.
"Searches and enquiries are expected to continue for the majority of today.
"Explosive Ordnance Disposal attended the scene to provide their specialist skills and knowledge and to ensure the safety of those at scene, but have left."