Malcolm Green may have lived with earlier op, inquest told

Malcolm Green As a businessman, Mr Green was known for his car dealerships in Pembrokeshire

Related Stories

A businessman who died after complications following a cancer operation "would probably have survived" if he was re-operated on sooner, an inquest has heard.

Malcolm Green, 82, began bleeding internally after surgery to remove a tumour at Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest, in 2012.

But an operation to treat the bleed was not carried out until the next day.

Officials have admitted failing to respond to his condition in time.

The Milford Haven inquest heard Mr Green had undergone surgery on 26 June to remove a tumour in his colon.

Start Quote

If there's a patient who's bleeding you stop the bleeding. You stop the bleeding, you don't wait for blood products”

End Quote Prof Michael Keighley retired professor of surgery

But his blood pressure dropped overnight and staff identified internal bleeding the following morning.

He was prepared for surgery at 10:00 BST, but the procedure did not get underway for another three hours, the hearing was told.

He died three days later after suffering multiple organ failure.

Stop bleeding

Prof Michael Keighley, a retired professor of surgery, told the inquest on Wednesday that Mr Green "would probably have survived" if surgery had taken place before 10:15 BST.

Prof Keighley said multi organ failure was primarily caused by a delay in resuscitation and operating.

He told the inquest a senior house doctor should have alerted a registrar after seeing low blood pressure results for Mr Green at 06:30 BST.

He also challenged consultant surgeon, Otumeluke Umughele's decision to wait for blood products before re-operating on Mr Green.

"If there's a patient who's bleeding you stop the bleeding. You stop the bleeding, you don't wait for blood products," he said.

Prof Keighley told the hearing it was a "breach of duty" not to re-operate before 10:15 BST.

Hywel Dda University Health Board Trust, said they acknowledged there were failings in Mr Green's care and actions had been taken to ensure they were not repeated.

Evidence in the inquest ended on Wednesday afternoon but the coroner will deliver his conclusion at a later date.

More on This Story

Related Stories

BBC South West Wales



10 °C 8 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Cartoon of women chatting on the metroChat wagon

    The interesting things you hear in a women-only carriage

  • Replica of a cargo boxSpecial delivery

    The man who posted himself to the other side of the world

  • Music scoreFinal score Watch

    Goodbye to NYC's last classical sheet music shop

  • Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton checks her Blackberry from a desk inside a C-17 military plane upon her departure from Malta, in the Mediterranean Sea, bound for Tripoli, Libya'Emailgate'

    Hillary gets a taste of scrutiny that lies ahead

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Audi R8Best in show

    BBC Autos takes a look at 10 of the most eye-catching new cars at the 2015 Geneva motor show


  • A cyborg cockroachClick Watch

    The cyborg cockroach – why has a computer been attached to this insect’s nervous system?

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.