Powys wildlife poisoning fear after dog and red kite deaths

Red kite Police fear the dog's poisoning during a walk is related to the death of a red kite a year earlier

Related Stories

A dog died after being poisoned while on a walk with its owner, say police.

The owner raised the alarm after the incident in Llangynog, Powys, in May and test results show the dog had been poisoned by pesticide, Aldicarb.

Sgt Matthew Howells from Dyfed-Powys Police said a red kite was poisoned last year raising concern wildlife is being targeted.

Evidence showed the dog had ingested the remains of a black bird which was suspected of having the poison on it.

The officer said the area was popular with dog walkers and he urged anyone who comes across dead wildlife in the countryside not touch it and contact the police if foul play is suspected.

Farmers are being urged to destroy old stocks of the pesticide which has been banned since 2007.

Birds of prey have been legally protected in the UK since 1954.

The RSPB said it recorded 15 crimes against birds of prey in Powys in 2012, out of 35 across the whole of Wales.

More on This Story

Related Stories

From other news sites

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC South West Wales

Weather

Swansea

Min. Night 12 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • HouseboatLife on the water

    Could a floating house be the home of the future? The BBC's Adam Shaw takes a look

Programmes

  • The Audi RS7Click Watch

    Tech news review of the week including a speed record for a self-driving car

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.