South West Wales

Ambulance service sorry for Llanelli stroke victim delay

Trevor Bryer Image copyright Wales News Service
Image caption Trevor Bryer had an hour wait to get to hospital despite living close by

Ambulance chiefs have apologised for the delay in investigating why it took so long to reach a dying man just 500 yards from a hospital in Llanelli.

Paramedics took just under an hour to get to Trevor Bryer, 72, after travelling from Haverfordwest 50 miles away. He died two days later.

The ambulance service said its investigation had taken longer than it would have liked.

His widow said the report may as well say: "It was very busy, very sorry".

Karen Bryer called the emergency service in May after her husband, a retired police officer, suffered a stroke at their home in Nantbryn, which backs on to Prince Philip Hospital's grounds in Llanelli.

She made two more emergency calls, about 25 minutes apart, as she waited for help.

She said: "If I had the strength I could've carried him on my back. It was the worst night of my life.

'Sense of anti-climax'

"All I want is that some other poor person doesn't have to go through what he went through, or that someone is left there waiting, waiting, waiting, watching the person they love the most in the world going downhill like that."

Mrs Bryer said her grief had been made worse because it had taken nearly four months to get the apology.

"When it came and I picked my way through all the words, there was almost a sense of anti-climax," she said.

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "Our thoughts and condolences remain with the family of Mr Bryer at this sad and difficult time.

"Due to the very serious nature of this incident, it has taken far longer than we would have liked to complete this investigation, but the trust needed to ensure that the investigation was thorough and that all avenues had been investigated.

"We apologise for the delay in responding to Mrs Bryer and for the added distress this may have caused."

Image copyright Wales News Service
Image caption Karen Bryer said she would have carried her husband to the hospital herself if she could

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites