Although Puntland's charter provides for freedom of the press, the authorities have resorted to detaining journalists and closing media outlets.
Journalists working in Puntland are "constantly exposed to the threat of arbitrary arrest", Reporters Without Borders said in 2012.
Radio Galkayo is affiliated to the authorities. Private broadcasters are permitted to operate. No newspapers are currently published in Puntland.
- Somali Broadcasting Corporation (SBC) - private, Bosasso
- Eastern TV Network (ETN) - private
- SBC Radio - private, Bosasso
- Radio Midnimo - private, Bosasso
- Radio Galkayo - state-affiliated
- Radio Garowe - private