- 11 July 2011
- From the section Africa
Since 1991, Radio Hargeisa has been the Somaliland government's official mouthpiece. The government also owns Somaliland National Television (SLNTV).
The authorities maintain a tight hold on broadcasting. Radio is the most accessible form of media, although Radio Hargeisa is the only permitted domestic outlet. The BBC is available in Hargeisa on 89 FM.
A private TV station, Somaliland Television (SLTV), is permitted to operate. A cable TV service is run by Hargeysa Cable.
The press can carry criticism of the government but the market for printed publications is small.
- Somaliland Times - Hargeisa, English-language weekly published by Haatuf Media Network
- Haatuf - Hargeisa, private daily
- Jamhuuriya - Hargeisa, private
- Mandeeq - Hargeisa, state-owned
- Somaliland National TV (SLNTV) - government-controlled, Hargeisa area
- Somaliland Television (SLTV) - private
- Radio Hargeisa - government-controlled