Second French soldier dies after Somalia raid - rebels

Denis Allex in video from October 2012 Militants say hostage Denis Allex - his code name - is still alive and his fate is yet to be decided

Islamist militants in Somalia have said a second French soldier was killed during a failed hostage rescue attempt.

Al-Shabab published a photograph allegedly showing the commando, who they said had died of gunshot wounds.

The group also said it would soon reveal its decision about the fate of Dennis Allex, an intelligence agent who the soldiers tried to rescue on Friday.

Paris has said evidence suggests both both commandos and Mr Allex died during the operation near Mogadishu.

The raid in the town of Bulo Marer came hours after French troops had intervened in the west African state of Mali.

Paris says the two operations are not linked.

'Unanimous verdict'

A statement published on Twitter purportedly by al-Shabab's press office on Monday claimed that the second soldier to die had been the commander of the French rescue operation.

"The commander was deserted by his comrades after a fierce firefight and subsequently captured by the mujahideen," it said.

Start Quote

All indications unfortunately lead us to believe that al-Shabab are preparing to organise a disgraceful and macabre display”

End Quote Jean-Yves Le Drian French Defence Minister

Al-Shabab paramedics "transferred him to a hospital at the base, but he succumbed to his injuries hours later," the statement added.

"The mujahideen recovered several weapons and the soldier's gear from the scene of battle and later also managed to retrieve valuable information from the soldier before his death. The body of the soldier is still within the custody of the mujahideen."

Later, the press office published a photograph allegedly showing the body of the "French commander". The dead man, who was not dressed in military uniform, was shown lying next to weapons, flak jackets and various other pieces of equipment.

A caption asked France's president: "Francois Hollande, was it worth it?"

The statement also said al-Shabab had "reached a unanimous verdict on the fate of Dennis Allex after three-and-a-half years in captivity".

It added: "The details of that verdict and some background information of the events leading up to the failed rescue operation will be published in the coming hours, God willing."

Al-Shabab has offered no proof that Mr Allex - a codename - is alive.

Earlier, French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told reporters: "I can confirm that everything leads us to believe that the hostage was killed and [a second] soldier was killed.

"All indications unfortunately lead us to believe that al-Shabab are preparing to organise a disgraceful and macabre display."

BBC map
'Unreasonable'

A battle erupted with al-Shabab militants after commandos swooped on Bulo Marer on Friday night and Saturday morning. France says 17 militants were killed in the fighting.

On Sunday, Mr Le Drian defended the raid in an interview on French radio.

"It's good to talk, to look for a deal, but we cannot bow to unreasonable conditions, as was the case with the Shabab.

"The Shabab were asking for the release of I don't know how many jihadist prisoners around the world. It was impossible and completely unrealistic," he said.

A senior al-Shabab commander, Sheikh Mohamed Ibrahim, told the AFP news agency that it had been warned about the impending raid, but gave no more details.

French hostages still held in Africa

  • Pierre Legrand, 26, Daniel Larribe, 59, Thierry Dole, 29, and Marc Feret, 43, were kidnapped in northern Niger in 2010 by Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM)
  • Philippe Verdon and Serge Lazarevic, were kidnapped in northern Mali in November 2011 by AQIM
  • Gilberto Rodriguez Leal, 61, was kidnapped in western Mali in November 2012 by the Movement for Unity and Jihad in West Africa (Mujao)
  • Francis Collomp, 63, was kidnapped in Nigeria by Islamist group Ansaru

Somali witnesses said a number of civilians had also been killed in the operation, which involved some 50 troops and at least five helicopters.

On Sunday, President Barack Obama acknowledged US forces had provided some technical support for the French operation.

He wrote in a letter to Congress: "United States combat aircraft briefly entered Somali airspace to support the rescue operation, if needed."

Mr Allex appeared in a video in June 2010, appealing to France to drop its support for the Somali government.

He last appeared in another video in October, looking gaunt and calling on President Hollande to work for his release.

Somalia has not had an effective central government for more than two decades.

France has a large military base in neighbouring Djibouti, including army, marine and air force units.

More on This Story

Somalia: Failed State

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Africa stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

Programmes

  • Ladybird - a robot designed to help with farm workClick Watch

    From weed detecting to a robotic dairy - the tech that could help farmers be more efficient

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.