Rwanda building collapse: Six dead and dozens injured
- 15 May 2013
- From the section Africa
Six people have died after a four-storey building in north-eastern Rwanda collapsed, the government says.
The search and rescue mission has ended with no more people found trapped in the rubble, Rwandan police said in a statement on Wednesday.
Officials said 18 people were being treated in hospital. Twelve others were discharged earlier after receiving treatment.
The dead and injured were believed to be mainly construction workers.
The four-storey building in Nyagatare, about 100km (60 miles) north-east of the capital Kigali, was under construction when it came down on Tuesday.
"Six people working on the site died as the result of the building collapse," Rwanda's police said in a statement. "The search and rescue mission... has been completed and the site is clear."
Initial reports had said that as many as 100 people had been feared trapped, but as rescue efforts began officials scaled back the numbers of those involved.
Police said they would be conducting an investigation into the cause of the collapse.