My Pikin deaths: Nigerians jailed over poisoned baby drug
- 17 May 2013
- From the section Africa
Two Nigerians have been sentenced to seven years in prison over the deaths of at least 80 children who took adulterated teething medicine.
The officials from the company which made the My Pikin syrup were found guilty by a court in Lagos.
After children started dying in 2008, the mixture was found to contain engine coolant.
The judge also ordered that the company be closed and its assets forfeited to the state.
The paracetamol-based syrup, used for treating sore gums, was found to have been contaminated with diethylene glycol, used as an engine coolant.
It caused the babies' kidneys to fail.
My Pikin means "my baby" in Nigerian pidgin, the language widely used in Lagos.