- 14 December 2011
- From the section Asia
Television is the most-popular medium. There are two state-run networks and more than a dozen private stations. Russian networks are available terrestrially and have a significant audience.
Money is tight for many Kyrgyz broadcasters, and the constraints can impact news coverage. Some stations cannot meet targets for original programming in the Kyrgyz language.
The media in Kyrgyzstan have traditionally enjoyed greater editorial freedom than their regional counterparts. But political tension, polarisation and disorder have undermined media freedom, Reporters Without Borders noted in 2010.
There were 2.2 million internet users by June 2010 (InternetWorldStats). The Kyrgyz blogsphere is lively - estimates suggest that there are more than 2,000 blogs. Some of them use local portals, including kloop.kg.
OpenNet Initiative, a web filtering watchdog, warns of a shift towards a more restrictive internet policy, and the threat posed by political instability. But it says access remains largely unfettered.
- Slovo Kyrgyzstana Plus - government-owned, published three times a week
- Vecherniy Bishkek - private daily
- MSN - private daily
- ResPublica - private daily
- Litsa - mouthpiece of Ar-Namys Party
- Delo No - private weekly
- Liberalnaya Gazeta - private weekly
- Obshchestvennyy Reyting - private weekly
- RIF Obozreniye - private weekly
- The Times of Central Asia - Bishkek-based, English-language, regional coverage
- Kyrgyz National TV and Radio Broadcasting Corporation - state-run, two networks
- Piramida - private, Bishkek
- Kyrgyz Public Educational TV (KOORT) - private
- Ecological Youth TV (EYTV) - private, Issyk-Kul
- Osh TV - private, Osh
- Independent Bishkek TV - private, Bishkek
- NTS - private, Bishkek
- Kyrgyz National TV and Radio Broadcasting Corporation - state-run, operates Kyrgyz Radio 1 and 21 Vek (21st century) networks
- Ekho Bishkeka - private, Bishkek
- Almaz - private, Bishkek
- Europa Plus - private, Bishkek, Osh
- Russkoye Radio - private
- Auto Radio - private