Typhoon Haiyan: BBC reports from the Philippines

  • 14 November 2013
  • From the section Asia

BBC correspondents are in some of the places worst hit by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. Below is a selection of their reports on the devastation and the rescue operation.

Tacloban, 19 November: Patients queue for medical help

Rajesh Mirchandani visits a field hospital set up by German and Belgian medics in Palo, near Tacloban

Guiuan, 17 November: Desperate scramble for aid from the air

Rajini Vaidyanathan reports from a US helicopter as it distributes aid to remote areas.

Tacloban, 15 November: The view of the devastation from a helicopter

The BBC's Rajesh Mirchandani says that from the air the city of Tacloban is in ruins one week on.

Guiuan, 14 November: Desolation where the typhoon first hit land

Andrew Harding reaches the isolated villages where the typhoon first struck.

Island of Leyte, 14 November: Devastation beyond the city

Alastair Leithead says people are still waiting for aid on the island of Leyte almost a week after Typhoon Haiyan hit.

Tacloban, 14 November: International aid 'finally arrives'

International aid finally reaches Tacloban as the city buries the dead, reports Rupert Wingfield-Hayes.

Island of Leyte, 13 November: Joyful reunion amid typhoon anguish

The BBC's Alastair Leithead meets two sisters in search of their parents, as he took a boat from a remote part of Cebu to the island of Leyte.

Tacloban, 13 November: Trapped teenager loses entire family

Rupert Wingfield-Hayes meets a 13-year-old girl who lost her entire family in the disaster.

Tacloban, 13 November: Churches become sanctuaries for homeless

Churches have become havens for people whose homes have been ripped apart, as George Alagiah reports.

Tacloban, 13 November: At the airport as aid finally arrives

Impassable roads means that delivering aid by air has become essential, as Jonathan Head reports.

Tacloban, 13 November: Inside hospital that lacks basic supplies

Rupert Wingfield-Hayes reports from a hospital that was completely flooded by the typhoon and lacks basic supplies and clean water.

Tacloban, 13 November: Life at a makeshift shelter

Jon Donnison speaks to Jose, who is living inside a sports centre that is doubling up as a makeshift shelter for victims of the disaster.

Tacloban, 12 November: Desperate queues for food

Rupert Wingfield-Hayes reports on the wait for aid in Tacloban where some looting occurred on the fifth day after the typhoon.

Cebu, 12 November: Devastation witnessed from the air

The BBC's George Alagiah makes a helicopter journey over devastated areas.

Tacloban, 12 November: Hungry survivors ransack warehouse

Jon Donnison reports from one of the worst-hit areas of Tacloban, where desperation for food has taken hold.

Tacloban, 12 November: On street destroyed by wall of water

Jon Donnison meets residents picking up the pieces in one of the worst hit areas of Tacloban.

Cebu International Airport, 12 November: Aid planes stranded

Tim Willcox explains why planes carrying aid are being delayed from reaching the disaster zone.

Tacloban, 12 November: Queuing for food in stinking black water

Rupert Wingfield-Hayes reports from the flood waters in Tacloban, which are making conditions even worse for survivors.

Cebu, 12 November: How pair survived as house flattened

Alistair Leithead reports on one survival story from a street on the island of Cebu.

Tacloban, 11 November: Families bury relatives

Rupert Wingfield-Hayes reports on relatives carrying victims on foot to a burial ground in Tacloban.

Manila, 11 November: Inside makeshift typhoon aid centre

George Alagiah is at a makeshift aid distribution centre at Manila airport.

Tacloban airport, 11 November: People queue to escape

Hundreds of desperate people are queuing to get out of Tacloban, says Jonathan Head.

Cebu, 11 November: Towns suffer "80-90% damage"

Alistair Leithead is in Cebu province, where some towns suffered "80-90% damage", according to one disaster worker.

Tacloban, 10 November: Buildings destroyed

An estimated 80% of Tacloban has been destroyed, Rupert Wingfield-Hayes reports.