Typhoon Haiyan death toll rises over 5,000

The BBC's Tulip Mazumdar reports from a school building which is home to survivors

The death toll from Typhoon Haiyan has risen above 5,000, officials in the Philippines say, two weeks after the devastating storm hit the country.

The country's National Disaster Agency says that 5,209 people are now known to have lost their lives, with many more still missing.

That makes Haiyan, known as Yolanda in the Philippines, the deadliest natural disaster in the country's history.

Floods in the Ormoc region in 1991 killed 5,101 people.

Start Quote

In the first week we can say we were in the emergency room - this second week we are now in the ICU, still critical but stabilised”

End Quote Eduardo del Rosario National Disaster Council

Haiyan was one of the most powerful typhoons ever recorded.

Flattened

Winds of up to 270km/h hit the central Philippines when it made landfall on 8 November.

Parts of low-lying islands were completely flattened.

Eduardo del Rosario, executive director of the Philippines' National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, said that more than four million people were displaced by the storm.

Over a million houses were damaged.

Many residents in the worst hit areas are still without proper shelter as they try to rebuild their homes.

Workers clear part of the road near Bassey in Eastern Samar, Philippines (22 Nov. 2013) Part of the recovery work is to clear roads so deliveries can get through
Children gather round candles during a Latin mass ceremony at a local Chapel in Santa Rita township on November 22, 2013 in Eastern Samar, Philippines
A woman receives a food parcel at a temporary shelter for super typhoon Haiyan victims in Tacloban on November 22, 2013 Residents of Tacloban who have lost everything exist on food parcels

Many residents in the worst hit areas are still without proper shelter as they try to rebuild their homes.

Mr del Rosario told the Associated Press news agency he believed the worst was over.

"In the first week we can say we were in the emergency room," he told the agency.

"This second week we are now in the ICU [intensive care unit], still critical but stabilised."

He said he believed that the number of dead reported in the city of Tacloban was likely to go up.

The capital of Leyte province has reported 1,725 deaths.

More than 1,600 people are missing across the affected region.

Most of the dead had been buried in mass graves, and many bodies were unidentified, Mr del Rosario said.

More on This Story

More Asia stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • UnderwaterHidden depths

    How do you explore the bottom of the ocean? BBC Future finds out

Programmes

  • The challenge is to drop a bottle of water within 100 metres of this dummyClick Watch

    The race to get water – transported by drone – to a man stuck in remote Australia

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.