As it happened: MH370 search resumes

Key points

  • Search efforts for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 resumed on Wednesday following improved weather conditions
  • Malaysia's acting transport minister said 122 "potential objects" had been seen around 2,557km from Perth based on new French satellite images
  • Six countries - Australia, New Zealand, the US, Japan, China and South Korea - are sending aircraft or ships to the search area
  • The Kuala Lumpur-Beijing airliner disappeared on 8 March with 239 people on board
  • The plane is presumed to have crashed into the southern Indian Ocean with no survivors
  • All times GMT

Live text


  • Neil Arun 
  • Mike Hills 
  • Victoria Park 
  • Amee Enriquez 
  • Helier Cheung 

Last updated 26 March 2014


Welcome to our live page on the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, which has been resumed after weather conditions in the southern Indian Ocean improved.


Twelve aircraft have been tasked with looking for possible debris in the search area, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (Amsa) says in a statement. Three search planes have departed so far.


Australia has been co-ordinating the search in the southern Indian Ocean since 17 March. On Monday, Chinese and Australian planes reported seeing possible debris. However, search efforts were paused on Tuesday due to adverse weather conditions.


File photo: Chinese icebreaker Xuelong berthed in Qingdao port, east China's Shandong province

The Chinese icebreaker Xuelong (pictured here) has arrived near the point where the Chinese planes reported possible debris on Monday, Xinhua news agency reports.


Malaysian officials say it must be assumed that the plane crashed, with no survivors. However, many relatives of the passengers are refusing to give up hope. "We don't know what to do. We don't know who to believe," Daniel Tan, whose brother was on the plane, told the BBC. "What they say is not backed up by proof. It's just based on satellite data."


High school students hold candles during a vigil for passengers of the missing Malaysia Airline flight MH370 in Lianyungang, east China's Jiangsu province, 25 March 2014

Vigils have been held around the world for those on board flight MH370. The BBC's Jennifer Pak went to one vigil in Malaysia, where she spoke to a friend of the plane's captain.


Flights are being staggered to maximise time in the search area, the BBC's Phil Mercer in Perth reports. The planes will go up and down their assigned areas, flying in a zigzag pattern, during the search.


A Royal Australia Air Force AP-3C Orion takes off from RAAF Base Pearce in Perth, Australia, 26 March 2014

This Royal Australia Air Force P3 Orion is on its way to the search area, which is around 1,500 miles (2,500km) to the south-west of Australian city Perth. A Chinese Ilyushin IL-76 aircraft and a Royal New Zealand Air Force plane have also departed.


Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott says: "We're throwing everything we have at this search... We owe it to the families, we owe it to an anxious world to do everything we can to finally locate some wreckage and to do whatever we can to solve the riddle of this extraordinarily ill-fated flight."


File photo: Tony Abbott, 25 March 2014

On Tuesday, Mr Abbott said that visa fees for relatives of those on the plane would be waived if they wanted to visit Australia, where the search is being co-ordinated. "It's just an unspeakable time for these people and if they want to come to Australia we'll make them welcome."