Malaysia MH370: Australia says cost 'no issue'

PM Tony Abbott says Australia "will not rest" until the search is completed

Australia has said it will not abandon the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane, insisting that the cost of the operation is not a concern.

PM Tony Abbott said if the current underwater search was unsuccessful, a new strategy would begin.

Defence Minister David Johnston has said that powerful sonar equipment will probably be used in the next stage.

The plane was carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing when it disappeared in March.

A US Navy Bluefin-21 mini-submarine scanning the ocean bed has covered more than 80% of a 310 sq km (120 sq mile) search area in the southern Indian Ocean, without finding any sign of debris in water that is up to 4.5km deep.

Mr Abbott said the probable impact zone of the airliner was in an area of the sea floor 700km (430 miles) long and 80km (50 miles) wide.

In a separate development, Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said that his country's cabinet had approved the formation of an international investigation team to find out what happened to the missing plane.

"The main purpose of the team is to evaluate, investigate and determine the actual cause of the accident so similar accidents could be avoided in the future," he told reporters in Kuala Lumpur.

Families 'owed'
The Australian Defence Vessel Ocean Shield drop the US Navy’s Bluefin-21 into the Indian Ocean - 15 April 2014 The torpedo-shaped autonomous underwater vehicle - called a Bluefin-21 - has so far covered 80% of the target area
A relative of a passenger aboard MH370 gestures as she shouts at Malaysian representatives during a briefing at Lido Hotel in Beijing (21 April 2014) Australia says that relatives of those on board the missing aircraft deserve to find out exactly what happened to their loved ones
The Phoenix Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Artemis beginning its dive in the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the Indian Ocean (20 April 2014) The Bluefin-21 is searching an area where a signal believed to be from the plane's black box was heard on 8 April

Australia says that it is now consulting with Malaysia, China and the United States on the next phase of the search, which is likely to be announced next week.

Mr Abbott said a new search strategy would be put into action if nothing was found in the current seabed search.

"If at the end of that period we find nothing, we are not going to abandon the search, we may well rethink the search, but we will not rest until we have done everything we can to solve this mystery," he said.

"We owe it to the families of the 239 people on board, we owe it to the hundreds of millions - indeed billions - of people who travel by air to try to get to the bottom of this."

Up to 10 military aircraft and 12 ships are currently searching about 1,600km (990 miles) north-west of Perth. The daily operation, involving some two dozen nations, is already shaping up to be the most expensive in aviation history.

An RAAF AP-3C Orion aircraft flies past British naval ship HMS Echo in the Indian Ocean as they continue to search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 - 15 April 2014 Several planes were forced to cancel their search efforts on Tuesday because of a cyclone over the Indian Ocean

"The only way we can get to the bottom of this is to keep searching the probable impact zone until we find something or until we have searched it as thoroughly as human ingenuity allows at this time," the Australian prime minister said.

The defence minister said that searchers were now planning to use a more intensive sonar to intensify the hunt for the aircraft.

"The next phase, I think, is that we step up with potentially a more powerful, more capable side-scan sonar to do deeper water," Mr Johnston said.

MH370 - Facts at a glance

  • 8 March: Malaysia Airlines Kuala Lumpur-Beijing flight carrying 239 people disappears
  • Plane's transponder, which communicates with ground radar, was switched off as it left Malaysian airspace
  • Satellite 'pings' indicate plane was still flying seven hours after take off
  • 24 March: Based on new calculations, Malaysian PM says "beyond reasonable doubt" that plane crashed in southern Indian Ocean with no survivors

"There will be some issues of costs into the future but this is not about costs."

The commercial sonar equipment being considered is similar to the remote-controlled submarines that found the wreck of the Titanic 3,800m (12,500ft) under the Atlantic Ocean in 1985.

"We want to find this aircraft. We want to say to our friends in Malaysia and China this is not about cost, we are concerned to be seen to be helping them in a most tragic circumstance," Mr Johnston said.

The enthusiasm and commitment of search teams had not dimmed, he added, despite the complexity of the operation in one of the most isolated parts of the Indian Ocean.

Authorities still do not know why the plane flew so far off course and finding the plane's flight recorders is seen as key to understanding what happened.

Using satellite data, officials have concluded that MH370 ended its journey in the southern Indian Ocean.

Ocean off the coast of Australia

More on This Story

MH370 mystery

More Asia stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • LollyFake flavours

    Artificial flavours are more complex than first appears. BBC Future investigates

Programmes

  • Dog wearing GoPro camera harnessClick Watch

    A camera harness for dogs, calls for more social media safeguards plus other tech news

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.