South Korea ferry 'sank due to negligence, corruption'

In this 16 April 2014 file photo, South Korean rescue team boats and fishing boats try to rescue passengers of the sinking Sewol ferry, off South Korea's southern coast, near Jindo, south of Seoul. A total of 293 of the 476 passengers onboard the Sewol are known to have died and 11 remain missing

Related Stories

An interim South Korea government report says the 16 April sinking of the Sewol ferry was partly due to government negligence and corruption.

It cited lax regulation, poor safety inspections and a slow and badly-coordinated coast guard response as factors that led to the disaster.

Eleven officials have been referred to prosecutors on corruption charges and dozens more face possible legal action.

The ferry sinking killed 304 passengers, most of whom were students.

A total of 293 bodies have been recovered and 11 passengers remain unaccounted for. Search operations are still continuing.

The disaster sparked national mourning and intense public criticism of the government.

Two separate trials, one for the ferry's captain and crew, and another for the head of the ferry operator and other company officials, began last month.

Harangued

The South Korean government's audit and inspection board said in its report on Tuesday that the regional port administration had licensed the ferry even though it had been illegally converted, according to state news agency Yonhap.

The ship was found to have been illegally modified so that it could carry more cargo.

The Korean Register of Shipping, which is a body appointed by the government to inspect ships, also did not carry out proper safety check-ups.

The report also said the coast guard missed a crucial period to rescue passengers and botched its rescue operations. The agency failed to maintain proper communication with the ferry and issued ill-matched rescue orders.

Family members of victims of the Sewol ferry disaster leave the Gwangju District Court in the southwestern South Korean city of Gwangju on 24 June 2014 Family members of the Sewol ferry victims have been attending the trial of the ferry's captain and crew
Lee Joon-seok, captain of sunken ferry Sewol, arrives at a court in Gwangju on 10 June 2014 Captain Lee Joon-seok and three other crew members are accused of committing homicide by negligence

Meanwhile the trial of the ferry's captain and 14 crew members continued on Tuesday in the city of Gwangju, with video evidence from inside the stricken ship shown in court.

The BBC's Lucy Williamson says prosecutors have alleged that the more than 300 deaths were avoidable had the crew acted differently. They said they would show footage of a young passenger standing metres from an exit door as the ship sank.

The gallery was packed with parents of victims, who jeered and shouted at the defendants when a video of the captain and crew jumping into a rescue boat was shown, according to agencies.

During a break in proceedings, some parents harangued the judge and defendants, and one woman tried to throw her shoes at the dock.

More on This Story

More Asia stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • MouseEscape the rat race

    Burnt out? Meet the workers who took more than a vacation - and changed their lives

Programmes

  • (File photo) A man dressed as Father Christmas with a sleigh and a reindeer Click Watch

    A website which tracks Father Christmas, plus other sites and apps to keep you entertained

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.