Asia

Jakarta attacks: Wounded Indonesian dies in hospital

  • 17 January 2016
  • From the section Asia
Media captionRebecca Henschke reports from Jakarta where protests against the attacks took place

An Indonesian wounded in Thursday's gun and bomb attacks in Jakarta has died, bringing the death toll to eight including four civilians, police said.

Officials originally believed there were five attackers, but later said one man thought to be a militant was actually a civilian.

All of the attackers, including two previously convicted militants, were killed.

The so-called Islamic State (IS) has said it carried out the attack.

At least 20 people were injured, several of them in a serious condition.

One of the militants seen carrying a gun and rucksack during the attacks was named as Afif Sunakim. He was previously given a seven-year jail term for attending a militant camp.

The others have been identified as Dian Joni Kurniadi, M Ali, and Ahmad Muhazan bin Saron.

The attacks began with a series of bomb blasts at an intersection near a shopping mall and a Starbucks coffee shop. As people inside ran out, two gunmen waiting outside opened fire.

At least two militants also attacked the police box in the centre of the intersection in a suicide bomb attack.

The group planned to target government offices and foreigners in other Indonesian cities, a spokesman said.

Media captionJonah Fisher: In the footsteps of the Jakarta attackers

So far, 12 arrests have been made and police have also shut down at least 11 websites and social media accounts.

The attackers are thought to have belonged to an IS faction made up mainly of Indonesians and Malaysians. The guns they used came from the Philippines, officials said.

Hundreds of people from Southeast Asian countries with significant Muslim populations have travelled to Syria and Iraq to fight with the group.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo tweeted on Friday that there was "no place for terrorism on Earth" and that "every citizen in the world" needed to fight it.


Islamist attacks in Indonesia

Media captionA history of militancy in Indonesia

Indonesia has suffered militant attacks in the past, but has been relatively successful in curbing home-grown Islamist extremism after a spate of attacks in the last decade. Some of the deadliest include

  • July 2009: Seven people killed and dozens wounded when two suicide bombers target Marriott and Ritz Carlton hotels in Jakarta
  • Oct 2005: Suicide attacks in Bali leave 23 dead, including the bombers
  • Sept 2004: Bomb outside Australian embassy in Jakarta kills at least nine people
  • Aug 2003: Bomb at Jakarta's Marriott Hotel kills 12
  • Oct 2002: Bali bombings kill 202, including 88 Australians
  • Dec 2000: Church bombings across the country kill 19

The Islamic State threat in South East Asia


More on this story