Asia

Afghan bomber 'kills 12 police recruits' near Jalalabad

Afghan security forces inspect the site of a suicide attack on a bus carrying Afghan army recruits in Jalalabad on April 11, 2016. Image copyright AFP
Image caption The blast happened in the Sorkhrot district of Nangarhar province

At least 12 people have been killed and dozens wounded by a bomb targeting police recruits in eastern Afghanistan, officials say.

The blast happened in the Sorkhrot district of Nangarhar province.

The recruits were travelling to the capital Kabul when the bus was hit by a remote-control device in a motorbike, a local official told the BBC.

Other reports suggested a suicide bomber had rammed the bus on the motorbike.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said the Islamist group had carried out the attack, according to the Reuters news agency.

Taliban militants have previously targeted officials in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar.

Ahsanullah Shinwari, head of the Jalalabad hospital, told the Associated Press that 12 bodies had been brought to the hospital.

He said another 38 people were wounded, most of them in critical condition.

No group has yet claimed responsibility. Suicide attacks regularly take place in Jalalabad, as a number of anti-government insurgent groups are based in the province.

Hours earlier, a bomb hit a minibus carrying Education Ministry workers in eastern Kabul, killing two people and wounding seven, a defence ministry spokesman told Reuters.

Two districts in the Nangarhar province are controlled, or at least influenced, by the so-called Islamic State (IS).

Related Topics

More on this story