China children die in bin of carbon monoxide exposure

Map of Bijie

Five street children have been found dead in a large bin in south-west China after succumbing to monoxide poisoning, state media report.

The children were found along with remnants of burnt charcoal, suggesting they could have been burning it to keep warm, the China Daily website reported.

The boys, found in the city of Bijie in the southwestern Guizhou province, are thought to have been aged around 10.

The case has caused uproar on Chinese social media sites.

Some have accused the local authorities of negligence, while others have blamed the boys' parents.

Three of the boys have been identified, while the police are still trying to confirm the identities of the other two, the China Daily reported.

More on This Story

More China stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Van DammeA-list adverts

    BBC Autos takes a look at some of the most curious and courageous link-ups in car-advert history

Programmes

  • Bitcoin logoClick Watch

    The developer behind the new Bitcoin tech on the fears it will hide criminal activity

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.