China children die in bin of carbon monoxide exposure
- 18 November 2012
- From the section China
Five street children have been found dead in a large bin in south-west China after succumbing to monoxide poisoning, state media report.
The children were found along with remnants of burnt charcoal, suggesting they could have been burning it to keep warm, the China Daily website reported.
The boys, found in the city of Bijie in the southwestern Guizhou province, are thought to have been aged around 10.
The case has caused uproar on Chinese social media sites.
Some have accused the local authorities of negligence, while others have blamed the boys' parents.
Three of the boys have been identified, while the police are still trying to confirm the identities of the other two, the China Daily reported.