China steps up bird flu precautions

Empty poultry cage at a market in Shanghai, China (6 April 2013) Cages at three Shanghai poultry markets are empty after stalls were ordered to close

Related Stories

China is stepping up its efforts to contain the spread of a new strain of bird flu which has killed six people in the country.

The authorities in Shanghai, where four deaths were recorded, have closed three poultry markets and banned the import of all live birds into the city.

China has now identified 16 domestic cases of the H7N9 virus.

The World Health Organization says there is no evidence yet that the virus is being transmitted between humans.

The human cases of H7N9 have all occurred in eastern China, in Shanghai and its neighbouring provinces of Anhui and Zhejiang.

The latest death was a 64-year-old man who died in Zhejiang, the second death there, state media report. There was no sign of infection in anyone who had had close contact with him, said officials.

On Thursday, officials began the slaughter of at least 20,000 birds in Shanghai after the virus was detected in pigeons sold in Huhuai market.

The trading of live birds - how poultry is traditionally sold in China - has also been halted at a market in the Zhejiang city of Hangzhou, after the virus was detected in quail being sold there.

"People are worried," Yan Zhicheng, an elderly Shanghai resident, told AFP news agency.

"Shanghai people eat a lot of duck and chicken. Now we can't touch them."

Another Shanghai resident, Shao Linxia, said she would not longer be buying food from traditional markets, but instead using large supermarkets.

"I don't think it is safe to visit the wet markets anymore," she told Reuters.

The authorities in Hong Kong are also bringing in extra precautions, including heightened checks at immigration points, while other countries in the region have boosted their own influenza responses.

The H7N9 is a form of avian flu not previously been found in humans. The WHO says information about it is still limited, but that all the victims have had severe pneumonia, with symptoms including a fever and shortness of breath.

It is also not yet known how all the infections occurred, with the WHO unable to confirm any cases of human-to-human transmission.

The Chinese government has promised to openly share information about the virus, after being accused of trying to cover up health crises in the past.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More China stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • Stained glass of man with swordFrance 1 England 0

    The most important battle you have probably never heard of


  • Golden retriever10 things

    Dogs get jealous, and nine more nuggets from the week's news


  • Pro-Israel demonstrators shout slogans while protesting in Berlin - 25 July 2014Holocaust guilt

    Gaza conflict leaves Germans confused over who to support


  • The emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-SabahFreedoms fear

    Growing concern for rights as Kuwait revokes citizenships


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • CastleRoyal real estate

    No longer reserved for kings and queens, some find living in a castle simply divine

Programmes

  • A robot which is due to compete in the 2014 RoboCupClick Watch

    Why robots from 45 countries are playing football in Brazil, plus other technology news

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.