India: Pune blasts 'planned and coordinated'

A policeman inspects the site of an explosion near a restaurant in Pune, about 190 km (118 miles) from Mumbai, August 1, 2012 The police said the blasts were the work of a "mischief-maker"

Related Stories

India's home secretary has said Wednesday's series of bomb blasts in the western city of Pune were a "planned and coordinated" act.

RK Singh said forensic experts were examining two unexploded devices and looking for clues.

The "low intensity" explosions went off within minutes of each other, injuring one person.

In 2010 a bomb attack on a popular bakery in Pune killed 17 people and injured more than 50.

Wednesday's blasts came on the day India's new Home Minister, Sushilkumar Shinde, took up his post.

Although the Pune police said the blasts appeared to be the work of a "mischief-maker", federal authorities said a terror attack could not be ruled out.

"Since the blasts have taken place within an area of 500 metres and within a span of 45 minutes, it appears to be a coordinated act. I am sure there was a plan behind it," Mr Singh was quoted as saying by the Press Trust of India news agency.

He said federal investigators were examining the two unexploded devices which were found on the busy Jangli Maharaj Road area, where the blasts occurred.

"There are three detonators in each [of the devices]. Investigation is on. We are making progress," he said.

Reports in the media say that ammonium nitrate was used in the small bombs which had been placed in confectionery boxes.

One of the bombs went off outside a McDonalds fast food restaurant, two near a theatre and another near a bank, police said.

More on This Story

Related Stories

More India stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • Stained glass of man with swordFrance 1 England 0

    The most important battle you have probably never heard of


  • Golden retriever10 things

    Dogs get jealous, and nine more nuggets from the week's news


  • Pro-Israel demonstrators shout slogans while protesting in Berlin - 25 July 2014Holocaust guilt

    Gaza conflict leaves Germans confused over who to support


  • The emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-SabahFreedoms fear

    Growing concern for rights as Kuwait revokes citizenships


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • CastleRoyal real estate

    No longer reserved for kings and queens, some find living in a castle simply divine

Programmes

  • Leader of Hamas Khaled MeshaalHARDtalk Watch

    BBC exclusive: Hamas leader on the eagerness to end bloodshed in Gaza

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.