Australia Navy cadet filmed rape 'to be accepted'

Australia's special forces exercise during the Australian International Airshow in Melbourne March 2, 2011 Australia's defence forces have been hit by several scandals, prompting wide-ranging reviews

Related Stories

An Australian Navy cadet who filmed himself with a mobile phone raping a woman as she slept wanted to be accepted by his peers, a court heard.

Keith Calvert, 24, was found guilty last month of two counts of rape against a female colleague in 2009.

His lawyer told a pre-sentence hearing that bragging about sexual exploits and filming them were rife at the base.

The case comes ahead of the publication of the findings of a review into sexual abuse in the Australian military.

Calvert reportedly filmed himself giving the thumbs-up during the sexual assaults after a night of heavy drinking in Melbourne in 2009 with five other male defence colleagues.

The victim only learned that the incident had taken place after she was alerted several months later by others who had seen the explicit footage, the court heard.

Calvert's lawyer told the pre-sentence hearing that there was a "work hard, play hard" and heavy drinking culture at the HMAS Cerberus base south of Melbourne.

"There was a culture of reporting, of bragging, of sexual exploits, that extended to revealing one's exploits by way of mobile phone footage," David Sexton told the court on Monday.

"[Calvert] was desperate to fit into the navy lifestyle, and he embraced it wholeheartedly."

He will be sentenced on Friday.

Treatment of women

Meanwhile, a government-commissioned review is under way following a similar sex scandal at the Australian Defence Force Academy.

Investigations were launched after two cadets from the academy were accused of secretly filming a female trainee having sex and broadcasting it on the internet.

They have now been charged in connection with the incident, which raised questions about the treatment of women within the Australian defence establishment.

Due to an unexpectedly high volume of allegations of abuse, the deadline for the publication of the review's findings has been extended to 30 September - one month behind schedule.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Asia-Pacific stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • Man holding lipWitch hunt

    The country where a writer accused of blasphemy must run


  • Espresso cupNews quiz

    Which city serves the strongest cup of coffee?


  • Malaysian plane wreckage in UkraineFlight risk

    How odd is it to have three plane crashes in eight days?


  • Irvine WelshDeaf ears

    Five famous Scots who can't vote in the Scottish referendum


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Canada.Hidden rail trip

    Canada's tiny, two-car shuttle is a train lover's dream with scenic views

Programmes

  • Leader of Hamas Khaled MeshaalHARDtalk Watch

    BBC exclusive: Hamas leader on the eagerness to end bloodshed in Gaza

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.