Tonga profile - Media
- 23 June 2015
- From the section Asia-Pacific
State radio and TV tend to be pro-government, while private broadcasters offer little independent local coverage.
Privately-owned newspapers carry opposition views, but journalists can face harassment and threats of criminal charges. A Department of Information oversees all media reporting, US-based Freedom House notes.
More than 40,000 Tongans were online by 2014 (InternetLiveStats.com). There are no curbs on internet access.
- Tonga Daily News - weekly newspaper and online news service
- Times of Tonga - privately-owned, published from New Zealand
- Matangi Tonga - privately-owned magazine; website carries news in English
- Tonga Broadcasting Commission - state-owned, operates Television Tonga
- DigiTV - digital cable TV