The local government is the main media player in Macau; it runs terrestrial TV and radio stations and subsidises the press.
Citing these ties, the Vienna-based International Press Institute says it is "difficult to define the media as independent".
A state security law prohibits "sedition and subversion" against the Beijing government.
There were some 366,000 internet users by June 2012 (InternetWorldStats.com). Facebook is the most popular social network.
- Macao Daily News - main daily, Chinese-language
- Va Kio Daily - Chinese-language
- Hoje Macau - Portuguese-language daily
- Jornal Tribuna de Macau - Portuguese-language daily
- Ponto Final - Portuguese-language daily
- Macau Daily Times - English-language
- The Macau Post Daily - English-language
- MacauNews - online news in English, Chinese
- Teledifusao Macau - operates Chinese and Portuguese-language networks
- Macau Asia Satellite TV (MASTV) - private