Australia 'collar-bomb' accused Peters pleads guilty

Madeleine appeared outside court with her father, Bill: "Maddy won't have to endure the stress and anxiety of reliving that terrible night"

Related Stories

A man has pleaded guilty to breaking into a teenage girl's home and locking her to a fake bomb in Australia in August last year.

Paul Douglas Peters, 50, appeared via video-link in a Sydney court and his lawyer entered the plea on his behalf.

He was arrested in the United States last year and extradited to Australia to face charges for the incident, believed to be an attempt to extort money from the girl's family.

He will be sentenced later this month.

The charges stem from an ordeal endured by 18-year-old Madeleine Pulver on 3 August 2011.

Peters entered her bedroom in a wealthy Sydney suburb as she studied, attaching a device he said was a bomb to her neck.

A police squad spent 10 hours removing the device, which was later found to contain no explosives.

Peters, a successful international businessman, was later arrested in the US at the home of his ex-wife in Louisville, Kentucky. He did not fight the extradition, though his US lawyer had previously said he rejected the charges against him.

Paul Douglas Peters, 50, is booked at the Oldham County Jail in LaGrange, Kentucky, on 15 August 2011 over alleged involvement in the 'collar-bomb' hoax which targeted a Sydney teenager Peters was arrested in the US state of Kentucky and extradited to Australia to face charges

He did not attend a brief hearing at Parramatta Bail Court in Sydney last year, where charges of kidnapping, aggravated breaking and entering, and demanding money with menaces were filed against him.

He had not applied for bail since he was brought back to Australia and will remain in custody until the sentencing.

Outside the court on Thursday, his lawyer Kathy Crittenden told reporters Peters was "profoundly sorry".

Ms Pulver's father Bill - a businessman who has made millions from internet software - said the plea was a relief for the family.

"We are incredibly pleased with today's outcome. It is great comfort knowing Maddie won't have to endure the stress and anxiety of reliving the events of that terrible night," he told Australian media.

The Pulvers previously said they were mystified as to why they were targeted. They said they had never met Peters, although reports suggest he may once have worked for a company with links to the family.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Asia-Pacific stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • French luxury Tea House, Mariage Freres display of tea pots Tea for tu

    France falls back in love with tea - but don't expect a British cuppa


  • Woman in swimming pool Green stuff

    The element that makes a familiar smell when mixed with urine


  • Female model's bottom in leopard skin trousers as she walks up the catwalkBum deal

    Why budget buttock ops can be bad for your health


  • The OfficeIn pictures

    Fifty landmark shows from 50 years of BBC Two


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • ITChild's play

    It's never been easier for small businesses to get their message out to the world

Programmes

  • Tuna and avacadoThe Travel Show Watch

    Is Tokyo set to become the world's gourmet capital?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.